Let us go through some of the common and useful English phrases used in day to day conversation. There are many ways to say the same thing. The following sentences can help you know some of the basic and useful sentences you can use in your daily conversation.
|Wishing someone Hello and Goodbye.||1. Hello
5. What's up?
6. Hi there
8. See you later
9. Have a good one
|Different ways to say "How are You"?||1. How are you?
2. How is it going?
3. How are you doing?
4. How are things?
5. How's life?
6. How have you been?
7. How’s your family?
8. What’s up?
9. What’s new?
10. What have you been up to lately?
|Ways to Reply "How you are"||1. I’m fine, thanks. How about you?
2. Pretty good.
3. Not bad.
5. Couldn’t be better!
6. Can’t complain.
7. I’ve been busy.
8. Same as always.
9. Not so great.
10. Could be better.
|Different ways to Thank Someone||1. Thanks.
2. Thanks a lot.
3. Thank you so much.
4. Thanks a million!
5. Thanks for your help. / Thanks for helping me.
6. I really appreciate it.
7. I’m really grateful.
8. That’s so kind of you.
9. I can’t thank you enough.
10. I owe you one.
|How to respond to "Thank You"||1. It was the least I could do.
2. Glad to help.
3. Don’t mention it.
4. No worries.
5. My pleasure.
7. You’re welcome.
8. No problem.
10. It's Okay.
|How you can Introduce Yourself?||1. I just wanted to introduce myself. I’m… [your name]
2. I don’t think we’ve met before. My name’s… [your name]
3. This is…
4. I’d like you to meet…
5. Have you met… ?
6. I’d like to introduce you to…
7. Nice to meet you.
8. It’s a pleasure to meet you. I am [Your Name]
|Showing Interest||1. Really?
2. That’s interesting.
|How to End a Conversation Politely||1. It was nice chatting with you.
2. Well, it’s getting late.
3. Anyway, I should get going.
4. (formal) Sorry, but I’m afraid I need to…
5. I’m sorry to cut you off, but I actually gotta run. (cut you off = interrupt you)
|Telephone Calls Conversation||1. Hi, this is Jane.
2. (formal) May I speak with John Smith?
3. (informal) Is John there?
4. I’m calling about…
5. I’m returning your call.
6. (formal) One moment, please.
7. (informal) Hang on a sec.
8. He’s not here. Would you like to leave a message?
9. Could you ask him to call me back?
10. Thanks for calling.
|How to ask for Information||1. Can you tell me...?
2. Could you tell me...?
3. I'd like to know...
4. Do you know...
5. Do you have any idea...?
6. Could anyone tell me...? (use this phrase when asking a group of people)
7. Would you happen to know...?
8. I don't suppose you (would) know...?
9. I was wondering…
10. I’m calling to find out…
|Ways to say “I don’t know”||1. I have no idea/clue.
2. I can’t help you there.
3. Beats me.(informal)
4. I’m not really sure.
5. I’ve been wondering that, too.
|How you can ask for Someone’s Opinion & Give Your Opinion||1. What do you think about...?
2. How do you feel about…?
3. What's your opinion of...?
4. What are your views on...?
5. In my opinion…
6. I'd say...
7. Personally, I think/believe...
8. If you ask me...
9. The way I see it...
10. From my point of view…
|5 Phrases if you don't have an opinion||1. I’ve never given it much thought.
2. I don’t have strong feelings either way.
3. It doesn’t make any difference to me.
4. I have no opinion on the matter.
5. Whatever. (informal)
|Phrases for agreement||1. Exactly.
3. That’s so true.
4. That’s for sure.
5. I agree 100%
6. I couldn’t agree with you more.
7. That’s exactly what I think. / That’s exactly how I feel.
8. (informal) Tell me about it! / You’re telling me!
9. (informal) I’ll say!
10. I suppose so.
|Phrases for disagreement||1. I don’t think so.
2. I beg to differ.
3. I’m afraid I don’t agree.
4. I’m not so sure about that.
5. That’s not how I see it.
6. Not necessarily.
7. Yes, but… [your opinion]
8. On the contrary.
9. No way! (informal)
10. I totally disagree.
|How to respond to Good News||1. Congratulations!
2. That’s great!
3. How wonderful!
5. I’m so happy for you!
|Phrases to respond to Bad News||1. Oh no…
2. That’s terrible.
3. Poor you.
4. I’m so sorry to hear that.
5. I’m sorry for your loss (if someone is dead)
|How to Ask for Clarification?||1. Pardon?
2. Would you mind repeating that?
3. What do you mean?
4. I’m not sure I follow you.
5. Could you explain… ?
|How to check if the Other Person Understands You||1. Do you understand what I’m saying?
2. Does that make sense?
3. Do you know what I mean?
4. Are you with me so far?
5. Is that clear?
|Phrases to ask for help.||1. I need a little help.
2. Could you help me out?
3. Could you give me a hand? (for physical tasks)
4. Could you spare a couple of minutes?
5. Could you do me a favor?
Many a times it happens that we get stuck while speaking in English because of not knowing the correct word. I will not suggest to cram these sentences or phrases but these can help you to understand how well you can respond in the conversation. The best way to learn English is to Practice more and converse more without feeling embarrassed. Keep learning and develop a habit of speaking more in English irrespective of what others think of you. If not Today but Tomorrow you will certainly find improvement in your speaking skills. English is not just about Grammar but how you speak and convey your message with correct pronunciation. I hope you will like this article. Don’t forget to share and comment 🙂